The Hat For Summer 08

Hats are all the rage this summer. More specifically, straw hats are all the rage. The aim to look chilled-out-rock chic or festival chic. The nice thing about this S/S08 trend is that on the runway, any style of straw hats will do, whether the hat is the smaller fedora style, or larger floppy style. And most importantly, hats are so useful for the summer days out. Actually on any given day, I'd prefer not to have to wear a hat (-hat hair!) but since I've been travelling a bit, I really wanted something to protect my skin from the sun. Thus my sudden interest in the hat trend.
The most practical hat for shading my face from the sun would be one of these huge floppy hats. And I figure I would feel less idiotic wearing one this summer since it was on the runway and hey, even Blair wore it in Gossip Girl (-bad logic, I know.) But since it's not really possible for me to fit such a large, irregular shape into my suitcase, I decided against it.

The shape I wanted was one like the one Rachel Bilson was wearing. It looks so cool on her!

It looks a lot like this fedora from Urban Outfitters. Unfortunately, it seems to be only available in the US.

I tried on a similar one to the one Kristen Dunst is wearing in the photo from Top Shop, butI thought it looked way too much like a cowboy hat. I wanted to look festival chic, not like I thought Halloween had come early. Plus the sides were so short it didn't seem like it would actually shade my face from the sun.

So I ended up settling for this hat -it's part practical and part festival chic. And it fits perfectly into my suitcase. I've been really loving it on my holidays!

I also debated between straw colour and black. I thought black was even more versatile than straw colour. But in the end, I decided to get into the spirit of travelling and the current trend and opted for a straw-coloured one. (The straw-coloured hats must have been much more popular than the black ones because the Top Shop I went to only had one straw-coloured hat left, whereas there were still many black ones.)

Anyone else been having fun with this trend this summer?