The New Seven Wonders of the World

So today I am going to talk about the New Seven Wonders of the World, because fashion is a lifestyle and travelling is definitely a LARGE part of lifestyle-jetsetting! Anyways, on July 7th, the new seven wonders of the world was announced and in no particular order they were:The Great Wall of China: This was definitely on my list when I voted a few months back. And I think its on there for obvious reasons.
Petra, Jordan: On the edge of the Arabian Desert, Petra was the glittering capital of the Nabataean empire of King Aretas IV all the way back in the days. And it is famous for structures built within the stones. I'm not much of a traveller of going to the middle of nowheres, but this is definitely something I want to see for myself- its mysterious, exotic and ancient!
Christ the Redeemer: Atop the Corcovado mountain overlooking Rio de Janeiro, it was inaugurated on October 12 1931. I can see how it represents Brazil and everything and I do hope someday to see it. But I'm slightly confused as to how it made it onto the new 7 wonders list. I guess I'm just being traditional thinking, but I always had the preconception that the 7 wonders should be old and 1931 is not THAT old comparatively.
Macchu Picchu, Peru: The lost city of Inca. In the 15th century, the city was built in the clouds on the mountain known as Machu Picchu. It lies halfway up the Andes Plateau, deep in the Amazon jungle and above the Urubamba River. This is yet another exotic place I'd like to visit once in my life.
Chichén Itzá, Mexico: The most famous Mayan temple city of the Mayan Civilization. I don't have too great an urge to see this one, but some of my friends have been and they say its quite worth a visit. Another plus, is that this is definitely one of the more accessible places to visit as a student..spring break anyone?
Roman Colosseum, Italy: The ONE thing on the list I've actually been to! Albeit it was a long time ago. I remember wondering why there were so many holes on the walls, because they never show up in the pictures i.e. here. But as a 11 year old I was not too impressed by it, but I probably just was not able to appreciate it then. Maybe I should take another trip to Rome just to refresh my memory....
Taj Mahal, India: Another place I've always wanted to go to, just because it looks sooo cool and mystical and I want to see it before the marble structure gets erroded away by acid rain. In fact, if it wasn't for wikipedia, I would still be thinking that it IS one of the original 7 wonders of the world.

So that was the popularly voted new 7 wonders of the world. But I wonder how close the votes were, because there were quite a few places that I thought deserved a place on the list too that is not there.

Great Pyramids of Giza, Egypt: My first reaction, was to wonder why the Great Pyramids of Giza was not there. As the one and only surviving structure of the original 7 wonders of the world, one would think it would deserve a place on the new list, if not for all the history, mystery and culture of the Ancient Egyptian civilization it represent then simply for surviving! But I want to see this too. I'd even risk the smelly camels...although I hear that they've evolved to jeeps by now.

Acropolis, Greece: Then there is the Acropolis in Greece, which represents the other great empires of history- the ancient greek civilization. Just looking at the picture makes me want to read all the greek myths and go there and imagine what it was like back in the days. Hagia Sophia, Turkey: The other thing on my list that didn't make it. I studied it in Medieval Arts class. Originally built as a Christian church in the Byzantine empire, it was converted to a mosque when it was conquered by the Ottomon Turks in 1453. The main dome structure is supposed to be an amazing piece of art and architect and I'd LOVE to experience the mystical quality of the light that reflects into the interior of the church from the dome windows for myself.

Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany: Not actually on my list. But I was definitely considering it for the magical, mystical and fairy tale quality of it. Plus, I heard that is where Disney got their inspiration from for their castle. And where the magic starts, I want to go.

Timbuktu, Mali: And I thought I'd throw this in, just for existing, because I'm embarassed to say that before voting for this, I'd always thought that Timbuktu was a figure of speech (I think I heard it in Anastasia...). Turns out that it was the crossroad of the four most important caravan paths supplying the Arab world in the 12th century. Well, we learn something new everyday....

Wow, looks like I have a LOT of travelling to do....